General Surgery Residency at Bayonne Medical Center
Our residents participate in a wide variety of cases across all specialties including colorectal, breast, pediatric bariatric, vascular, thoracic, plastics, surgical oncology, and more. Operative experience is enhanced by the use of cutting edge minimally invasive technology robotic surgery-2 Di Vinci XIs with multiple attending’s with robot privileges doing cases throughout the system. In addition, the surrounding culturally diverse communities of Jersey City, Hoboken and Bayonne further enrich the training experience of our residents.
Our program has affiliations with University Hospital in Newark for transplant; Cooper University Hospital for Trauma; MSK for surgical oncology and St. Joseph’s University Regional Hospital for Trauma, Pediatrics, and SICU amongst others. In addition, there is ample opportunity for clinical experience both in and out the Operating Rooms in all three hospitals within the CarePoint Health System.
- The General Surgery Simulation Curriculum supplements the clinical and technical education of residents across all PGY levels. A dedicated Sim lab is located at Bayonne Medical Center.
- In addition to ATLS, all residents are required to be FLS/FES certified. Study material and testing vouchers are provided.
- All PGY 2s are required to pass the USMLE/COMLEX III requirement prior to the start of their PGY 3 year.
- We strive to optimize academic and research performance for each resident by providing the infrastructure, research opportunities and mentorship, weekly attending led study sessions, and monthly resident meetings.
- PGY-1 Categorical positions 4
- Prelim: We do not have any prelim positions in our program