Call us: 201.821.8900
Are your patients at risk for type 2 diabetes? Test them today for prediabetes and recommend the PreventT2 lifestyle change program for those at risk.
About the PreventT2 Program
- The PreventT2 lifestyle change program is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program, led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- It is a proven program that has been shown to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in high-risk patients.
- Research examining the effects of a structured lifestyle change program like PreventT2 showed that weight loss of 5% to 7% of body weight achieved by reducing calories and increasing physical activity reduced the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58% in people at high risk for the disease.
- To learn more about this research, visit http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/preventionprogram/
Which Patients Are Eligible for PreventT2?
To participate, patients must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be overweight (BMI ≥ 24; ≥ 22 if Asian);
- Have no previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes;
- Have established risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes; or
- Have been diagnosed with prediabetes within the past year or previously diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
How Does PreventT2 Work?
PreventT2 empowers patients with prediabetes and those at risk for type 2 diabetes to take charge of their health and well-being. Participants meet in groups with a trained lifestyle coach to learn ways to incorporate healthier eating and moderate physical activity, as well as problem-solving, stress-reduction, and coping skills, into their daily lives. Groups meet for a year — weekly for the first 6 months, then once or twice a month for the second 6 months to maintain the skills they have learned.
How Can My Patients Access PreventT2 Near Them?
PreventT2 is a community-based program, so your patients can find it in varied locations like health care facilities, faith-based organizations, wellness centers, and worksites. Many private insurers, employers, government agencies, health care facilities, and community-based organizations offer access to and coverage of the program. PreventT2 may be free to many of your patients based on their insurance coverage.
Recommending Patients Is Easy!
Simply use the recommendation form available to share information about your local PreventT2 program and recommend those patients who are at risk for type 2 diabetes. To learn more or to request recommendation forms, please contact:
Diabetes Prevention Program at CarePoint Health
Contact: Eileen Fahey, MS, RD
All details about PreventT2 program are available to download CPH Diabetes Prevention Program.
To find other programs in your area or to learn more about PreventT2, visit www.cdc.gov/diabetes/prevention.