CarePoint Health-CPH facilities: Bayonne Medical Center in Bayonne, Christ Hospital in Jersey City and Hoboken University Medical Center in Hoboken offers screening mammogram throughout the year, by offering the state of the art technology. In lieu of the Breast Cancer Awareness month (October) and addressing the community need- CPH-facilities had hosted it’s 5TH Annual Mammogram-A-Thon.
CPH encourages women who were 40+ to get their annual mammogram, understand the importance of self-breast exams, and ask questions to our medical experts.
The event was offered by each facility in the month of October, one program was held on Saturday and other was held on a weekday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.to our community. The screening was conducted by following American Cancer Society guidelines. In these two days:
- No referral was required if patient had not had a screening mammogram within the past 12 months.
- Patients without prescriptions were seen by CPH physicians, who not only provide prescription for screening but also offers Breast Exams.
- If uninsured, a free screening mammogram was available through the Madeline LoRe Foundation (if patient signed for consent to financial screening).
- Without assistance or insurance, the cost was $99.
- All these patients were appropriately followed if any abnormality found.
2018 Process Improvement:
- Community need assessment of Hudson county reflected that there are two primary reasons identified for low rates of screening and treatment were language and cultural barriers. In the year 2018, keeping in mind the diverse population of our community, Mammogram-o-thon Flyer were printed in different languages: English/Spanish/Arabic/ Hindi and Urdu.
- A detailed step-to-step process was designed and discussed between all the participating departments to make the process smooth for the screening participants.
- In addition to the community members, eligible staff were also encouraged to get their screening done on that day.
- Multiple community venues were used to advertise the mammogram-o-thon event.
Data below clearly reflected that the revised process in the year 2018 has a significant increase in mammogram-o-thon participation from the community members compared with the year 2017.
All call-back cases were appropriately followed, and no cancer found in any of these patients.
And at CarePoint Health, all medical professionals emphasize preventive medicine and focus on educating patients to make healthy life choices. For more information on its facilities, partners and services, visit www.carepointhealth.org.