CarePoint Health | What you need to know about the novel Coronavirus 2019:
COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) is currently spreading in various communities in the United States. This is a new coronavirus—different from the typical coronaviruses that causes the common cold.
Should I be concerned?
80% of patients with COVID-19 have no symptoms or mild symptoms; however, the elderly and those with chronic medical conditions are at risk for developing moderate to major symptoms. But, there are steps you can take to prevent getting COVID-19. Please see below.
How is COVID-19 spread?
It is spread from person to person by respiratory droplets (which occur when someone sneezes or coughs).
What steps can I take to keep me and others healthy?
There are simple things you can do to help keep yourself and others healthy such as:
- Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands. The virus spreads when it comes in contact with mucous membranes—located in your eyes, nose and mouth.
- You can help stop COVID-19 by knowing the signs and symptoms: cough, fever, shortness of breath AND if you have been in contact with a person known to have COVID-19 or if you live in or have recently been in an area with ongoing spread of COVID-19.
What should I do if I am sick?
- Stay at home if you are sick with mild symptoms. If you have no symptoms or mild symptoms, call your doctor or the local health department and do NOT go to the Emergency Room because you could contaminate others in the hospital—as this is a very contagious disease.
- To locate the phone number of your local health department, visit this link: https://www.naccho.org/membership/lhd-directory?searchType=standard&lhd-state=NJ#card-filter . Alternatively, you can also call the NJ Department of Health 24/7 Coronavirus hotline at (800) 222-1222. For more serious symptoms, you should seek medical attention.
Is CarePoint Health taking steps to prepare for COVID-19?
Yes. Although this is a new disease, CarePoint Health and its team of healthcare workers have been preparing since December 2019 and are taking all the necessary precautions to protect our patients and staff. We have done significant education and have created new protocols and policies to keep our patients and staff safe.
Is Carepoint Health a COVID-19 testing center?
No. None of the 3 hospitals are test centers. We anticipate the NJ Department of Health will be opening up testing centers in the future.
I want to learn more. What other materials/resources can I refer to?
Here are some great resources:
- Facts about COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/share-facts-h.pdf
- What you need to know about COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/2019-ncov-factsheet.pdf
- What to do if you are sick: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/sick-with-2019-nCoV-fact-sheet.pdf
- CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- NJDOH https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/ncov.shtml