As we celebrate Jersey City Pride month and the diversity of our Hudson County LGBTQ+ community, it’s time to think about your individual health needs and your ability to trust your health care provider. Earlier this year, CarePoint Health partnered with Hudson Pride to expand health care access to the LGBTQ+ community in Hudson County.
- Have you experienced stigma, discrimination or outright denial of care because of your sexual orientation or gender identity?
- Have you missed important screenings for potentially life-threatening conditions, such as ovarian and prostate cancer, because you didn’t feel respected or comfortable?
Nearly a sixth of LGBTQ+ adults have experienced discrimination at the doctor’s office or in another health care setting, while a fifth say they have avoided seeking medical care out of fear of discrimination, according to a recent poll.
Why finding a good provider is important
As a community, LGBTQ+ individuals are at greater risk for suicide, eating disorders, substance misuse, and breast and anal cancer. Finding a health care provider you feel comfortable discussing your sexual orientation and/or gender identity with can ensure you receive the right screening and preventive care. Think about how good you will feel knowing that your doctor isn’t making assumptions about you and that the care you receive from your provider truly addresses your specific needs.
Partnering with Hudson Pride Center to improve care
CarePoint Health—including Bayonne Medical Center, Christ Hospital in Jersey City and Hoboken University Medical Center—has partnered with Hudson Pride Center to build an inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ people and their allies.
It is our intent to acknowledge and to respect the health needs of LGBTQ+ individuals and—with the help of Hudson Pride Center—to construct a model of care that breaks down disparities LGBTQ+ people face. Our initiative will include working closely in the areas of:
- PREP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) services
- Hormone therapy
- Women’s health
- Mental health
- Overall better connection and referral to ensure patients’ sexuality and gender identities are understood and respected.
A new employee group has been formed to start the work necessary to address the goals and objectives of our new alliance with Hudson Pride. You may have seen our partnership working, as CarePoint Health and Hudson Pride Center partnered to host community events and activities, such as:
- Hudson Pride Center’s annual Trans Youth Camp in June
- A LGBTQ+ Health Fair during Pride Month in August
- A recent Healthcare Professional of the Year award given to our Christ Hospital’s Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Tucker Woods, at the NJBIZ Healthcare Heroes ceremony for his dedication to our efforts to create an inclusive health care environment.
- An “Every Woman Wellness” event celebrating Lesbian & Bisexual Women’s Health in Hoboken, NJ.
Our invitation to you
For too long LGBTQ+ individuals have been invisible to many health care providers. During Jersey City Pride month, do your health a favor—explore more about the care you can expect from us at CarePoint Health.