Mother and baby care
Labor and Delivery in a Warm, Nurturing Environment
The opportunity for mothers to bond with their new babies and learn their early habits is an important part of the birthing experience.
Our Family Birth Centers are proud to provide mother/baby couplet care to our new families. Couplet care allows mothers and newborns to remain together during the entire hospital stay. This provides many physical and emotional benefits, including facilitating mother-baby bonding, and helps new mothers feel more comfortable with their babies’ needs by the time they go home together. Studies show that infants who spend more time in their mothers’ presence cry less, have lower blood pressure, and maintain a more stable temperature and pulse.
Our staff are specially trained to care for the needs of both mothers and newborns following delivery, and our facilities, which all include private rooms with extra sleeping accommodations, are designed to encourage mother-infant bonding. In addition to participating in the actual birth, fathers or partners are encouraged to stay for the duration of mother and baby’s stay in the hospital.
Couplet care enhances the birth experience in numerous ways:
- Allows families to stay together for the entire hospital stay
- Helps new mothers feel more confident in their ability to care for their babies
- Gives moms greater peace of mind having their babies at the bedside
- Allows parents to tune in to their newborn’s early signals
- Provides support for lactation initiation and breast feeding
- Ensures that parents don’t miss any special moments